Last week, Sensei was dead on with his prediction on Prisoners. He was also right about We’re The Millers jumping over The Butler. Lots of new releases to analyze this week.
Sensei’s weekend predictions and revenue results are as follows:
1. “Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2” ($47 million) – Not much for animation audiences to chew on lately, so this fits in perfectly. Look for a strong, Hotel Transylvania-like opening.
2. “Prisoners” ($14 million) – Hugh Jackman added another solid opening to his box office resume with this taunt thriller last week. Film should easily break the $40 million domestic mark this weekend.
3. “Rush” ($13 million)– The real head scratcher this week. All the marketing and promotion on this race epic seem solid. So why is Universal doing such a small roll-out (only around 2,200+ theaters)? Film does have blockbuster potential and, despite the smaller screen count, will open decently. The screen count feels like a missed opportunity, considering this film looks to have easily been so much more.
4. “Don Jon” ($9.4 million) – Written and Directed by Joseph Gordon-Levitt, this comedy has all the raunch and crude humor to make an impression. These type of films are not, however, known for being big openers this time of year.
5. “Baggage Claim” ($7.5 million) – Again, a low screen count (only around 2,000+) so don’t expect a high opening. The lack of star power also hurts this romantic comedy. But hey, a spot in the top five is still good, right?
Those are Sensei’s calls. Enjoy the weekend.