Close call on the top spot last week–can’t say the same for The Counselor which turned out to be a bigger flop than anticipated. The rest of the predictions were pretty solid.
Who’s up to bat this week? Sci-fi leads the line-up.
Sensei’s weekend predictions and revenue results are as follows:
1. “Ender’s Game” ($28 million) – Everything is set for this novel adaptation to open big, however, the film’s early reviews has Sensei a little suspicious. If this film’s narrative has been turned into another “anti-war,” “all nuance, no substance” snooze fest–forget the big box office numbers.
2. “Free Birds” ($17.5 million) – Animation audiences finally get something to chew on. The film’s buzz is quite low, though. The lack of name recognition will also lead to a lower opening.
3. “Last Vegas” ($16.2 million)– The marketing for this film has been fun, the comedy features a great cast. This wise project taps right into what made The Hangover and Grown Ups box office successes. Don’t count this one out when it comes to grabbing that #2 spot. Any miscue by Free Birds and this one could easily rise.
4. “Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa” ($14 million) – Considering this film only cost $15 million to produce, hard to argue with these box office results. Film should break the $55 million domestic mark.
5. “Gravity” ($11 million) – After thinking on it, Sensei believes Sandra Bullock is now the biggest actress in the industry, overtaking such names as Nicole Kidman, Angelina Jolie, and Kate Beckinsale. Her film here should break the $215 million domestic mark.
In other calls:
Twelve Years A Slave will again do very well in limited release.Look for another $8 million, easily out-grossing all of its weekends to date.
Those are Sensei’s calls. Enjoy the weekend.