Very nice call on the top spot last week. Looking ahead we have the return of an Avenger, which always begs the question, how many records could fall this time?
Sensei’s weekend predictions and revenue results are as follows:
1. “Thor: The Dark World” ($104 million) – It may not be Iron Man 3 numbers, but this Avenger’s return will still open big. Record wise, opening should land in the top five for all time November openings. This film is also entirely “critic proof,” meaning early reviews won’t have much luck in swaying away audiences (regardless if the review is positive or negative).
2. “Ender’s Game” ($12 million) – So much for any controversy sinking this one. This is a solid result considering it’s up against Thor, whose massive opening will greatly affect all other earners this weekend. Film should break the $45 million domestic mark.
3. “Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa” ($11.7 million)– Could this one eventually break the $100 million domestic mark? Something unthinkable at its opening. Sensei doesn’t think so, but will still break the $75 domestic mark this weekend.
4. “Last Vegas” ($10.4 million) – Sensei felt this one could surprise last weekend, and it did come in higher than most projections. Look for another solid weekend. Film’s production budget was only $28 million, so very profitable weeks lies ahead.
5. “Free Birds” ($10 million) – Much like this Summer’s Turbo, this one’s opening disappointed last weekend. Project was seen as “mid level” to begin with, but will struggle to even make back its $55 million production budget.
Those are Sensei’s calls. Enjoy the weekend.