The previous record-holder for the five-day Thanksgiving weekend was “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone” $81 million haul. As of Saturday morning, both “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire” and Disney’s “Frozen” are on pace to smash that record with $110 million and $90 million respective takes.
Here is this weekend’s top five. Deadline has the full top ten and a lot more analysis:
1) Hunger Games: Catching Fire – Total 5-day weekend $110 million. Domestic Total: $300 million.
2) Frozen – Projected 5-day weekend gross: $$90 million. Domestic Total: $90.6.
3) Thor: The Dark World– Total 5-Day weekend: $14.4 million. Domestic Total: $185.6 million.
4) The Best Man Holiday – Projected 5-day weekend gross: $11.8 million. Domestic total gross: $64 million.
5) Delivery Man – Total 5-day weekend: $8.8 million. Domestic total gross: $18.6 million.
If these projections hold, the overall box office will hit something close to $300 million, which beats the previous record of $291 million.
Follow John Nolte on Twitter @NolteNC