An unlikely pair of new releases square off. But who really has the box office edge?
Last week, Sensei was correct in calling 22 Jump Street to pull the upset over How To Train Your Dragon 2. X-Men: Days of Future Past also now leads as the Summer’s biggest film, but other contenders remain in the mix (Maleficent, Transformers: Age of Extinction).
This week, does Sensei see any surprises?
Sensei’s weekend predictions and revenue results are as follows:
1. Think Like a Man Too ($38 Million)– This comedy sequel will benefit greatly from the strong box office frame. The film’s marketing was clever in showcasing the “girls vs. guys” concept and should benefit from Kevin Hart’s recent successes (Ride Along).
2. 22 Jump Street ($28 Million) – Despite winning the weekend last week, the numbers will be tight with How To Train Your Dragon 2. Still, if the film can pull a Neighbors-like drop, it should hold for the second spot.
3. How to Train Your Dragon 2 ($26.7 Million)– This animated film will narrow the gap with 22 Jump Street, and could pass it with a strong Saturday bump. Overall, Dragon could use stronger word of mouth in coming weeks to cover costs.
4. Jersey Boys ($12.4 Million)– Clint Eastwood directs this musical, but the film will open with a more drama-like opening. Film will need to rely on more older audiences, but a mid-level opening is still within reach.
5. Maleficent ($11 million) – As expected, film is now the year’s highest grossing film (with an actress as the lead). The film now sets its vision on the $200 million domestic mark, and could even pass Godzilla and The Amazing Spider-Man 2 before Summer’s end. Quite impressive.
That’s Sensei’s take. Have a great weekend.