This week marks the return of a franchise – and Hollywood’s newest action star.
Last week, Sensei was correct in calling for Think Like A Man Too to do better numbers than Jersey Boys (although Boys is getting better audience buzz overall).
This week, will we see the year’s biggest opening?
Sensei’s weekend predictions and revenue results are as follows:
1. Transformers: Age of Extinction ($107 Million)– Currently the year’s largest opening lies with the Captain. Captain America: The Winter Soldier opened to 95 million back in April. Optimus Prime and company look to make it past 100 million and will post the year’s biggest opener to date. This opening also brings us Hollywood’s next action star in Mark Wahlberg.
2. How to Train Your Dragon 2 ($15.8 Million) – Sensei sees a positive drop here, giving every twelve-year-old boy his greatest box office wish: giant robots vs. fire-breathing dragons. What’s not to love?
3. 22 Jump Street ($14 Million) – It’s the battle of the comedy sequels for the third spot. I’m giving this film the edge since it has stronger audience buzz. It also has strong enough box office numbers to green-light the next installment.
4. Think Like a Man Too ($12 Million)– Dropping from first to fourth place seems ominous here. Film is currently behind the box office pace of the original Think Like a Man. Unlike 22 Jump Street, a third installment may not be in the cards.
5. Maleficent ($8 million) – When Sensei predicted this film would be one of the year’s biggest box office contenders, it raised eyebrows. Now, this magical tale is set to pass both The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and Godzilla on its way to the 200 million domestic mark. Not bad, Sensei. Not bad at all.
That’s Sensei’s take. Have a great weekend.