In an appearance on NBC’s Meet the Press on Sunday, Sony Pictures attorney David Boies said that the film studio would inevitably release the scrapped comedy The Interview, although he said it remained unclear how the studio would ultimately distribute the film.
“Sony only delayed this,” Boies said on the program, according to the Hollywood Reporter. “Sony has been fighting to get this picture distributed. It will be distributed. How it’s going to be distributed, I don’t think anybody knows quite yet. But it’s going to be distributed.”
Sony cancelled the planned December 25 release of the film after the Guardians of Peace, the group responsible for the November 24 cyberattack on Sony that severely damaged the film studio, issued “9-11-style” threats last week against movie theaters that had committed to show the film.
Commenting on President Obama’s recent remarks on the cyberattack, Boies said he “would have liked to have seen it a little earlier.” Still, he said, the comments “were helpful in some respects.”
A senior defense analyst at the Rand Corporation said Friday that the depiction of North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un in the film could hurt the leader’s image in the country.
“Once Kim Jong-Un’s elites see it, it’s going to have some effect, and it’s not going to be good for him,” Bruce Bennett told CNN. “I think that’s what, in the end, they were really trying to stop by stopping the release of the film.”
North Korea has denied involvement in the hack against Sony.