AP Standards Center issues staff advisory on covering New York City mosque
Associated Press Deputy Managing Editor for Standards and Production Tom Kent sent the following note to the staff about covering the New York City mosque story:
Aug. 19, 2010
Here is some guidance on covering the NYC mosque story, with assists from Chad Roedemeier in the NYC bureau and Terry Hunt in Washington:
1. We should continue to avoid the phrase “ground zero mosque” or “mosque at ground zero” on all platforms. (We’ve very rarely used this wording, except in slugs, though we sometimes see other news sources using the term.) The site of the proposed Islamic center and mosque is not at ground zero, but two blocks away in a busy commercial area. We should continue to say it’s “near” ground zero, or two blocks away.
WE WILL CHANGE OUR SLUG ON THIS STORY LATER TODAY from “BC-Ground Zero Mosque” to “BC-NYC Mosque.”
In short headlines, some ways to refer to the project include:
_ mosque 2 blocks from WTC site
We can refer to the project as a mosque, or as a proposed Islamic center that includes a mosque.
It may be useful in some stories to note that Muslim prayer services have been held since 2009 in the building that the new project will replace. The proposal is to create a new, larger Islamic community center that would include a mosque, a swimming pool, gym, auditorium and other facilities.
2. Here is a succinct summary of President Obama’s position:
Obama has said he believes Muslims have the right to build an Islamic center in New York as a matter of religious freedom, though he’s also said he won’t take a position on whether they should actually build it.
For additional background, you’ll find below a Fact Check on the project that moved yesterday.
From Our Partners
Fox News Politics
- Bergdahl investigation report goes to senior Army commander22 Dec 2014, 3:53 PM PDT
- De Blasio, NYPD commissioner try to quell firestorm after officer murders22 Dec 2014, 3:16 PM PDT
- Resigning Virginia Dem tries to run for own seat after sex scandal, in headache for party22 Dec 2014, 1:14 PM PDT
- Supreme Court sets March hearing for new ObamaCare case22 Dec 2014, 12:22 PM PDT
- Fed land swap gives go-ahead to Arizona's 1.6B-ton copper mega-mine22 Dec 2014, 12:22 PM PDT
Fox News National
- Window washer who fell from downtown San Francisco building set to leave hospital22 Dec 2014, 4:17 PM PDT
- 2 men indicted in California bank robbery, shootout that killed hostage, 2 other suspects22 Dec 2014, 4:16 PM PDT
- Police: NY shooter watched protest before Garner decision but did not take part in it22 Dec 2014, 3:45 PM PDT
- Prosecutors to dismiss animal cruelty charges vs 4 defendants in deaths of 21 dogs in Gilbert22 Dec 2014, 3:30 PM PDT
- Police: Maine man strangled children, ages 8 and 10, because they saw him kill their mother22 Dec 2014, 3:15 PM PDT
Fox News Sports
- NFL Inactives - Monday, December 22, 201422 Dec 2014, 5:02 PM PDT
- Memphis tops BYU in 2OT bowl thriller22 Dec 2014, 4:31 PM PDT
- Knicks' Dalembert fined $15K for elbow22 Dec 2014, 4:01 PM PDT
- Records detail allegations against ex-49ers lineman Ray McDonald22 Dec 2014, 3:59 PM PDT
- Benfica edges Gil Vicente for sixth straight win22 Dec 2014, 3:51 PM PDT