AP Standards Center issues staff advisory on covering New York City mosque
Associated Press Deputy Managing Editor for Standards and Production Tom Kent sent the following note to the staff about covering the New York City mosque story:
Aug. 19, 2010
Here is some guidance on covering the NYC mosque story, with assists from Chad Roedemeier in the NYC bureau and Terry Hunt in Washington:
1. We should continue to avoid the phrase “ground zero mosque” or “mosque at ground zero” on all platforms. (We’ve very rarely used this wording, except in slugs, though we sometimes see other news sources using the term.) The site of the proposed Islamic center and mosque is not at ground zero, but two blocks away in a busy commercial area. We should continue to say it’s “near” ground zero, or two blocks away.
WE WILL CHANGE OUR SLUG ON THIS STORY LATER TODAY from “BC-Ground Zero Mosque” to “BC-NYC Mosque.”
In short headlines, some ways to refer to the project include:
_ mosque 2 blocks from WTC site
We can refer to the project as a mosque, or as a proposed Islamic center that includes a mosque.
It may be useful in some stories to note that Muslim prayer services have been held since 2009 in the building that the new project will replace. The proposal is to create a new, larger Islamic community center that would include a mosque, a swimming pool, gym, auditorium and other facilities.
2. Here is a succinct summary of President Obama’s position:
Obama has said he believes Muslims have the right to build an Islamic center in New York as a matter of religious freedom, though he’s also said he won’t take a position on whether they should actually build it.
For additional background, you’ll find below a Fact Check on the project that moved yesterday.
From Our Partners
Fox News Politics
- Feds mark Chicago's Pullman neighborhood for rich history 28 Feb 2015, 10:00 PM PDT
- US rethinking plan to retake Mosul from ISIS28 Feb 2015, 10:00 PM PDT
- Reports of possible deal on DHS funding reignites chatter about Boehner ouster28 Feb 2015, 10:00 PM PDT
- Rubio calls Venezuela ban 'a badge of honor'28 Feb 2015, 8:02 PM PDT
- Rand Paul wins 2015 CPAC straw poll28 Feb 2015, 3:12 PM PDT
Fox News National
- Completely blind dog returned to owner after 2 weeks in frigid weather28 Feb 2015, 11:29 PM PDT
- South Florida police chief uses job pressure as catalyst for arrest28 Feb 2015, 11:11 PM PDT
- Suspect sought in Los Angeles street race that left 2 spectators dead turns himself in28 Feb 2015, 11:02 PM PDT
- Navy recognizes tribe's connection to California island; will turn over remains, sacred items28 Feb 2015, 10:45 PM PDT
- 2 shot at T.I., Young Jeezy party in North Carolina club28 Feb 2015, 10:00 PM PDT