AP Standards Center issues staff advisory on covering New York City mosque
Associated Press Deputy Managing Editor for Standards and Production Tom Kent sent the following note to the staff about covering the New York City mosque story:
Aug. 19, 2010
Here is some guidance on covering the NYC mosque story, with assists from Chad Roedemeier in the NYC bureau and Terry Hunt in Washington:
1. We should continue to avoid the phrase “ground zero mosque” or “mosque at ground zero” on all platforms. (We’ve very rarely used this wording, except in slugs, though we sometimes see other news sources using the term.) The site of the proposed Islamic center and mosque is not at ground zero, but two blocks away in a busy commercial area. We should continue to say it’s “near” ground zero, or two blocks away.
WE WILL CHANGE OUR SLUG ON THIS STORY LATER TODAY from “BC-Ground Zero Mosque” to “BC-NYC Mosque.”
In short headlines, some ways to refer to the project include:
_ mosque 2 blocks from WTC site
We can refer to the project as a mosque, or as a proposed Islamic center that includes a mosque.
It may be useful in some stories to note that Muslim prayer services have been held since 2009 in the building that the new project will replace. The proposal is to create a new, larger Islamic community center that would include a mosque, a swimming pool, gym, auditorium and other facilities.
2. Here is a succinct summary of President Obama’s position:
Obama has said he believes Muslims have the right to build an Islamic center in New York as a matter of religious freedom, though he’s also said he won’t take a position on whether they should actually build it.
For additional background, you’ll find below a Fact Check on the project that moved yesterday.
From Our Partners
Fox News Politics
- Kerry orders State Department review of records retention amid Clinton email controversy28 Mar 2015, 1:24 PM PDT
- Reid retiring from Senate with legacy much deeper than master GOP agitator28 Mar 2015, 8:59 AM PDT
- Senate GOP asking new questions about emails for Clinton and Abedin, who has special employment status28 Mar 2015, 7:42 AM PDT
- Senator’s questions over Clinton Foundation Nigerian donor spark GOP infighting27 Mar 2015, 9:45 PM PDT
- Emerging details of possible Iranian nuclear deal draw bipartisan ire27 Mar 2015, 9:15 PM PDT
Fox News National
- 7 people shot at a house in the Florida Panhandle during spring break party; 1 man arrested28 Mar 2015, 11:37 AM PDT
- Chicago's retired Cardinal George readmitted to hospital after stopping cancer treatment28 Mar 2015, 10:52 AM PDT
- Minneapolis police ask help finding missing college sorority sister28 Mar 2015, 10:19 AM PDT
- Unusual amount of cheating at Stanford University; provost warns of severe consequences28 Mar 2015, 9:53 AM PDT
- Owners of llamas that ran amok in Phoenix enclave scaling back in wake of USDA attention28 Mar 2015, 8:45 AM PDT
Fox News Sports
- Wattel, Ramsay and McArthur share lead at Trophee Hassan II in wide open European Tour event28 Mar 2015, 11:16 AM PDT
- Rangers acquire LHP Freeman from Cardinals28 Mar 2015, 11:16 AM PDT
- Pens' Malkin, Hornqvist back in lineup28 Mar 2015, 11:14 AM PDT
- UConn women roll into Elite Eight28 Mar 2015, 11:13 AM PDT
- Ramsay maintains share of lead in Morocco28 Mar 2015, 11:10 AM PDT