All day Wednesday, the Old Media establishment was going gaga over the “gaffes” that presumptive GOP nominee Mitt Romney supposedly committed on his overseas tour. But all the many gaffes Obama committed with our allies — especially the Brits — were conveniently absent from any of the coverage.
The list of jabs at Romney grew by the hour throughout the day. From assumptions that Romney forgot the name of Labour Party leader Ed Miliband, to his spilling of the beans about a meeting with British Intelligence (usually these meetings are kept hush-hush) to a back and forth of jabs about the Olympics opening this week in London, both the British and American press were quick to give Romney the back of a hand.
Of course, few Old Media outlets noted that Obama, too, has had his troubles, especially with the Brits.
Here is a list of just a few of those Obama gaffes that were left out of the picture during Thursday’s coverage.
- In a visit to Westminster Abbey, Obama forgot what year it was and signed “2008” instead of 2011 in a guest book.
- In a visit to Dublin, Ireland, Obama’s heavily armored limo bottomed out and got stuck on a sidewalk
- Obama violated protocol in a toast to the Queen
- Obama’s first official state gift to the Queen, and an arrogant one at that, was an iPod filled with Obama speeches!
- Michelle Obama broke protocol by touching the Queen in a visit the Obamas made to England
- After he took office, Obama ignored repeated calls made by British officials wanting to coordinate policy
- Obama curtly sent the famous bust of Winston Churchill back to England, embarrassing our allies
- Obama left the British PM on the tarmac at an airport and refused to attend a joint conference as is customary
- Obama’s first official state gift to the British PM was an a bunch of DVDs that won’t play on British DVD machines
- A member of Obama’s administration dismissed the Brits and told them that they aren’t any more special than anyone else
There were many more than this, of course, but these serve as a great reminder of Obama’s major gaffes, nonetheless. Not that the Old Media would remind us of any of this, of course.