The Organisation for Security and Co-operation in Europe, which usually polices elections to ensure against human rights abuses, said that the phone hacking scandal should not be used as an “excuse” to restrict free speech.
The intervention was made after the Prime Minister was accused of putting together a “grubby deal” after he dropped his opposition to use legislation to underpin a new system of press regulation.
The Labour and Liberal Democrat leaders met with a Conservative minister in secret talks which lasted until early Monday morning to hammer out a deal which could see the press regulated by a new Royal Charter.
Those who refuse to sign up, including websites, now face “exemplary damages” if they are taken to court.
Several of the country’s biggest newspaper groups, including Telegraph Media Group, issued a statement expressing their initial concerns over the proposals.
There is growing speculation that some newspapers and magazines may boycott the new system amid claims it violates fundamental human rights.
Mr Cameron unveiled the plans in Parliament as several MPs – exposed for their own failings in the media – welcomed the crackdown.
In a statement, a spokesman for the Organisation for Security and Co-operation in Europe said: “A government-established regulatory body, regardless of how independent it is intended to be, could pose a threat to media freedom.
From Our Partners
Fox News Politics
- Kerry orders State Department review of records retention amid Clinton email controversy28 Mar 2015, 1:24 PM PDT
- Reid retiring from Senate with legacy much deeper than master GOP agitator28 Mar 2015, 8:59 AM PDT
- Senate GOP asking new questions about emails for Clinton and Abedin, who has special employment status28 Mar 2015, 7:42 AM PDT
- Senator’s questions over Clinton Foundation Nigerian donor spark GOP infighting27 Mar 2015, 9:45 PM PDT
- Emerging details of possible Iranian nuclear deal draw bipartisan ire27 Mar 2015, 9:15 PM PDT
Fox News National
- 7 people shot at a house in the Florida Panhandle during spring break party; 1 man arrested28 Mar 2015, 11:37 AM PDT
- Chicago's retired Cardinal George readmitted to hospital after stopping cancer treatment28 Mar 2015, 10:52 AM PDT
- Minneapolis police ask help finding missing college sorority sister28 Mar 2015, 10:19 AM PDT
- Unusual amount of cheating at Stanford University; provost warns of severe consequences28 Mar 2015, 9:53 AM PDT
- Owners of llamas that ran amok in Phoenix enclave scaling back in wake of USDA attention28 Mar 2015, 8:45 AM PDT
Fox News Sports
- Wattel, Ramsay and McArthur share lead at Trophee Hassan II in wide open European Tour event28 Mar 2015, 11:16 AM PDT
- Rangers acquire LHP Freeman from Cardinals28 Mar 2015, 11:16 AM PDT
- Pens' Malkin, Hornqvist back in lineup28 Mar 2015, 11:14 AM PDT
- UConn women roll into Elite Eight28 Mar 2015, 11:13 AM PDT
- Ramsay maintains share of lead in Morocco28 Mar 2015, 11:10 AM PDT