Philip Klein, Managing Editor of the Washington Examiner, reacts to Marco Rubio affirming he will gladly support Donald Trump at the Republican National Convention.
From the Washington Examiner:
In the late stages of his doomed presidential campaign, Sen. Marco Rubio declared that the front-runner for his party’s nomination was “a con artist.” But it turns out that Donald Trump wasn’t the only GOP presidential candidate pulling the wool over people’s eyes.
On Thursday, Rubio took another step toward fully embracing Trump for the presidency by telling CNN’s Jake Tapper that he not only planned to attend the Republican convention, but that he would be “honored” to speak on Trump’s behalf.
He said that violent clashes among Trump supporters and opponents represented a “frightening, grotesque, and disturbing development in American politics” and Rubio declared, “We are being ripped apart at the seams.” He solemnly said, “I’m sad for this country.”
For all of Rubio’s high-minded talk, however, it seems that when push comes to shove, he doesn’t have the courage to stand up for his stated convictions.
It’s one thing to begrudgingly argue that as dangerous as he thinks a Trump presidency would be, that he thinks a Clinton presidency would be even worse. But to actually say that he would be “honored” by the chance to speak on Trump’s behalf at the GOP convention, and to downplay his previously stated problems with Trump as mere “policy differences,” is to prove the Rubio skeptics right.
Read the rest of the article here.