1. She’s a legitimately talented actress. Very natural. Unlike overrated show-offs like Meryl Streep and Kate Winslet, you never see the strings.
2. As far as I know, Lawrence has never said anything that reeks of self-importance; that’s divisive or insulting. That’s a rare quality in the modern-day superstar. Hopefully, she won’t be pressured to change.
3. She’s self-deprecating. Most actors and actresses who don’t take themselves seriously are faking it. You can tell it’s a phony “real guy or gal” charm offensive (see: Clooney, George). If Lawrence is faking it, she’s an even better actress than I give her credit for.
4. She’s gorgeous but real. Lawrence looks like she could be your neighbor’s cute daughter or best friend’s hot girlfriend. Unlike Nicole Kidman, Angelina Jolie, and so many other starlets, Lawrence looks like a real person.
5. She seems accessible. When movie stars were still movie stars, much of their appeal came from the fact that they seemed warm, real, friendly, and accessible. John Wayne, Gary Cooper, Gable, Bogart, Cagney, etc. were guy’s guys. And as beautiful as Bacall, Monroe, Grable, and Turner were, they weren’t icy, distant, and intimidating.
Lawrence comes off as a gal’s gal; someone approachable you’d enjoy having a beer with or wouldn’t be afraid to ask out. She just seems cool and fun and down to earth.
We might ooh and ahh at the beauty and talent of today’s actors and actresses, but how many of them do you think you would like?
Lawrence is likable, you want to root for her, and when it comes to putting butts in seats, that’s everything.