An AP report out this afternoon sheds doubt on the Obama administration’s claims that the intelligence linking the leadership of the Syrian regime to the chemical weapons attack is a “slam dunk.” In fact, some US intelligence officers can not even be sure that the attack wasn’t perpetrated by rebel forces.
President Barack Obama declared unequivocally Wednesday that the Syrian government was responsible, while laying the groundwork for an expected U.S. military strike.“We have concluded that the Syrian government in fact carried these out,” Obama said in an interview with “NewsHour” on PBS. “And if that’s so, then there need to be international consequences.” […]
An intercept of Syrian military officials discussing the strike was among low-level staff, with no direct evidence tying the attack back to an Assad insider or even a senior Syrian commander, the officials said.
So while Secretary of State John Kerry said Monday that it was “undeniable,” a chemical weapons attack had occurred, and that it was carried out by the Syrian military, U.S. intelligence officials are not so certain that the suspected chemical attack was carried out on Assad’s orders. Some have even talked about the possibility that rebels could have carried out the attack in a callous and calculated attempt to draw the West into the war. That suspicion was not included in the official intelligence report, according to the official who described the report.
“Suggestions that there is any doubt about who is responsible about this are as preposterous as suggestions that the attack itself didn’t occur,” Carney said.
From Our Partners
Fox News Politics
- Biden: No question transgender people can serve in military4 Oct 2015, 8:17 AM PDT
- Abortion, birth control, race top Supreme Court's agenda4 Oct 2015, 7:40 AM PDT
- Chaffetz officially announces bid to be next House speaker, challenge McCarthy4 Oct 2015, 6:33 AM PDT
- Clinton appears on 'SNL' skit as bartender named Val3 Oct 2015, 10:04 PM PDT
- GOP House leadership race intensifies with Chaffetz mentioned, McCarthy counting every vote3 Oct 2015, 9:15 PM PDT
Fox News National
- American flag fight pits Utah woman vs. condo association4 Oct 2015, 7:51 AM PDT
- High School Students 3-D Printed a Custom Wheelchair to Help This Resilient Little Kitten4 Oct 2015, 7:00 AM PDT
- Shark bites teen surfing in Florida4 Oct 2015, 6:56 AM PDT
- House fire in north Minneapolis kills 3 children4 Oct 2015, 5:49 AM PDT
- 4 teens arrested in alleged shooting plot at high school4 Oct 2015, 5:24 AM PDT
Fox News Sports
- Colts' Luck out with shoulder injury4 Oct 2015, 9:47 AM PDT
- NFL executive: 'The Vikings can't hold Green Bay's jock'4 Oct 2015, 9:38 AM PDT
- Tyrod Taylor has three million reasons to help Bills end playoff drought4 Oct 2015, 9:33 AM PDT
- Andrew Luck to miss first NFL game as Indianapolis Colts face Jacksonville Jaguars4 Oct 2015, 9:22 AM PDT
- Moss: 49ers coaches can make Colin Kaepernick's job easier4 Oct 2015, 9:07 AM PDT