An AP report out this afternoon sheds doubt on the Obama administration’s claims that the intelligence linking the leadership of the Syrian regime to the chemical weapons attack is a “slam dunk.” In fact, some US intelligence officers can not even be sure that the attack wasn’t perpetrated by rebel forces.
President Barack Obama declared unequivocally Wednesday that the Syrian government was responsible, while laying the groundwork for an expected U.S. military strike.“We have concluded that the Syrian government in fact carried these out,” Obama said in an interview with “NewsHour” on PBS. “And if that’s so, then there need to be international consequences.” […]
An intercept of Syrian military officials discussing the strike was among low-level staff, with no direct evidence tying the attack back to an Assad insider or even a senior Syrian commander, the officials said.
So while Secretary of State John Kerry said Monday that it was “undeniable,” a chemical weapons attack had occurred, and that it was carried out by the Syrian military, U.S. intelligence officials are not so certain that the suspected chemical attack was carried out on Assad’s orders. Some have even talked about the possibility that rebels could have carried out the attack in a callous and calculated attempt to draw the West into the war. That suspicion was not included in the official intelligence report, according to the official who described the report.
“Suggestions that there is any doubt about who is responsible about this are as preposterous as suggestions that the attack itself didn’t occur,” Carney said.
From Our Partners
Fox News Politics
- Exclusive: Internal cable from Clinton State Department office barred use of personal email5 Mar 2015, 10:00 PM PDT
- Sledders defy police with 'sled-in' protest on Capitol Hill5 Mar 2015, 10:00 PM PDT
- Majority of House members sign letter blasting Obama bullet ban proposal5 Mar 2015, 10:00 PM PDT
- Clinton created multiple email addresses on private server, data show 5 Mar 2015, 6:40 PM PDT
- Krauthammer on Clinton email scandal: 'She's a Clinton. And what the Clintons do is, never clear the air'5 Mar 2015, 5:55 PM PDT
Fox News National
- Federal judge shot, wounded in Detroit robbery attempt6 Mar 2015, 1:00 AM PDT
- 'Black Madam' accused in buttocks enhancement murder trial due back on witness stand5 Mar 2015, 11:45 PM PDT
- Taxpayers shell out nearly $3 million to prosecute and defend Jodi Arias at 2 trials5 Mar 2015, 11:45 PM PDT
- Winter storm left motorists stranded on Kentucky interstates5 Mar 2015, 11:08 PM PDT
- Truck driver fell asleep before colliding with car, school bus in Washington, officials say5 Mar 2015, 10:35 PM PDT
Fox News Sports
- Blazers' Matthews ruptures Achilles in win6 Mar 2015, 12:09 AM PDT
- National Basketball Association Game Capsules5 Mar 2015, 11:55 PM PDT
- Blazers cruise past Mavs5 Mar 2015, 11:54 PM PDT
- Top-25 College Basketball Game Capsules5 Mar 2015, 11:49 PM PDT
- Utah battles past Washington State5 Mar 2015, 11:47 PM PDT