The fundamental principle of the Ryan/Murray Act is that the additional spending must be offset by taxes and spending cuts, Sessions explained. “One of the spending cuts were those cuts to the veterans, so if you take out the cuts to the veterans, where are you going to get the money to make sure the bill paid for as promised?” he asked.
Sen. Sessions spoke on the Senate floor on Monday to discuss the Pryor amendment, which would restore the pension cuts from the Ryan-Murray spending agreement but would violate that law’s spending limits in doing so.
As Sessions noted, Senate Democrats were the ones who insisted that the Ryan-Murray plan be rushed through without amendment, even though the military pension flaw was clearly exposed well in advance. Now, two months later, they are proposing a measure that would restore the cuts without attempting to pay for it–despite the fact that Sessions and others have introduced amendments to pay for the restoration by closing a tax welfare loophole that has allowed illegal aliens to claim credits to which they are not legally entitled.
“We’ve offered a perfectly reasonable–actually, essential–loophole-closing mechanism to pay for [the restoration of veterans’ benefits] and even more than that. So let me make it clear, the bill before us today is placing us in a position to choose from allowing an illegality to continue or cutting benefits earned by our veterans. So what we’re seeing is an astonishingly cynical move…”
Sessions noted that he had offered the amendment to save the soldiers’ pensions and pay for it by closing this tax loophole but Harry Reid and fellow Democrats had blocked the effort. “Not once but twice.”
From Our Partners
Fox News Politics
- Supreme Court sides with Idaho in Medicaid pay dispute31 Mar 2015, 8:03 AM PDT
- Connecticut gov imposes travel ban over Indiana’s religious freedom law – despite similar law on books31 Mar 2015, 6:42 AM PDT
- Indiana law a 2016 litmus test -- here’s what they said31 Mar 2015, 6:39 AM PDT
- NM commission rescinds sweeping fracking ban31 Mar 2015, 5:07 AM PDT
- ‘Expel me!’ Nebraska senator challenges lawmakers after ISIS-cop comparison31 Mar 2015, 5:01 AM PDT
Fox News National
- 911 receives a dozen calls from Idaho man about bar bill, authoritites report31 Mar 2015, 8:40 AM PDT
- Prosecutors: Police witnesses uncooperative before trial of officer charged in fatal shooting31 Mar 2015, 8:17 AM PDT
- Tech and financial services firms sign leases at New York's One World Trade Center31 Mar 2015, 8:04 AM PDT
- Cops: Pennsylvania man turned mom's day care center into heroin den once kids went home31 Mar 2015, 7:52 AM PDT
- Miami stripper accused of injuring tourist in hit-and-run31 Mar 2015, 7:47 AM PDT
Fox News Sports
- Rick Barnes lands at Tennessee31 Mar 2015, 8:12 AM PDT
- Bruins look to stay on track against Panthers31 Mar 2015, 8:06 AM PDT
- Canucks battle for position versus Predators31 Mar 2015, 7:54 AM PDT
- Jets hope to rebound against Rangers31 Mar 2015, 7:54 AM PDT
- Sens visit Red Wings aiming to halt slide31 Mar 2015, 7:53 AM PDT