It’s the day that mathletes and number freaks wait for all year. March 14, also known as 3/14 is celebrated everywhere as Pi (π) day. Pi (π) is the mathematical constant 3.1415926535897932 …
Here are a few facts about Pi (π) to drop around the water cooler today:
1. 3/14 is also Albert Einstein’s birthday. Coincidence?
2. What is Pi (π) ? It is the ratio of the a circle’s circumference to its diameter or π=C/d. But it’s so much more.
3. Pi (π) is an irrational number and has an infinite number of digits that have no apparent pattern.
5. Pi (π) day was started in 1988 by Larry Shaw at the San Francisco Exploratorium.
6. Indiana tried to change via legislation the value of Pi (π) . Is there anything the government doesn’t think it has the right to interfere with?
7. Pi is a great movie. Go watch it. Now.
While we may all be excited today to celebrate our favorite irrational number, just wait until next year: 3/14/15! Wild!