San Diego State University student Sara Stelzer remained on life support systems on Friday night after the University announced that she had died on Friday morning from bacterial meningitis.
According to CBS Los Angeles, University spokesman Greg Block said that Stelzer’s parents had given the University permission to release Sarah’s death certificate, but that they were keeping her on life support over the possibility that her organs may be donated.
“Her parents told us…that they had signed her death certificate and said their goodbyes,” Block said. He stated that the University’s message on Friday morning “was acting in accordance with the family’s wishes to offer condolences to our university community and provide information to our grieving students.”
Breitbart News has made attempts to get a statement from the University as to whether or not Stelzer still remains on life support systems, so far we have not received any official word. The 18-year-old freshman sorority member was stricken with bacterial meningitis although it has been reported that she had been vaccinated for the disease.
Dr. Gregg Lichtenstein, director of SDSU student health services and clinical services, remarked that Stelzer had been in contact with hundreds of other students: “Initially, we were thinking it was just a small group of people, but now we’re in the range of estimates of 300-400 people that we’re notifying… We’ve sent out a campus wide notification that all members of the Kappa Delta Sorority and those who attended certain fraternity parties on October 8 and 9 should receive preventive medication.”
According to ABC Eyewitness News, Stelzer also went to a homecoming last weekend at Moorpark High School in Ventura County where she was in contact with a small group of students. Moorpark Unified School District Superintendent Kelli Hays said that they are working with the Ventura County Health Department and said that, “people who may have been a risk were immediately identified and were seen by a physician to start antibiotics as a precautionary measure.”
Back in July, Breitbart News reported that officials at the Naval Base in Ventura County in Port Hueneme worked to contain swine flu and pneumonia among unaccompanied alien children brought there from the Texas border and according to one report in the Washington Free Beacon, there was suspicion of bacterial meningitis, but that it was never confirmed.
CNN reported that Meningococcal meningitis is a severe infection of the brain and spinal cord. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says that symptoms usually appear three to seven days after exposure. Symptoms include fever, headache, stiff neck, nausea and vomiting.