The State of California is seeking qualified candidates for the newly-created position of Chief of the Bureau of Medical Marijuana Regulation.
The new state agency was created by Gov. Jerry Brown’s recent passage of the Medical Marijuana Regulation and Safety Act, which set up the first statewide regulatory framework for the growing, distribution and sale of medical marijuana in California. The bureau will be housed in a division of the state Department of Consumer Affairs.
According to the job posting, the new Chief will be responsible “for the creation, issuance, renewal, discipline, suspension and/or revocation of all licenses for the transportation, storage related to manufacturing activities, distribution, and sale of medical marijuana.”
However, that’s just the beginning of the would-be Chief’s numerous responsibilities. He or she must also:
- “Confer with and advise the Director on policies affecting the Bureau’s operations.”
- “Formulate and implement policies and procedures relating to research and development of new standards to protect the public and consumers.”
- “Recommend modification of legislation and regulations” related to the Medical Marijuana Regulation and Safety Act, and “identify the need for new legislation.”
- “Act as the Bureau’s primary liaison with other state, local and federal agencies, news media, industry or professional associations and consumers.”
- “Establish and oversee an advisory committee to advise the bureau and licensing authorities on the development of standards and regulations… including best practices and guidelines to ensure qualified patients have adequate access to medical cannabis and medical cannabis products.”
Applicants must possess a baccalaureate degree and an advanced degree in public policy, administration or political science. They must also have experience with lobbying and testifying in front of legislative committees, and must also possess “the ability to communicate effectively with all levels of individuals.”
The new Chief will be well-compensated for taking on all that responsibility: according to the listing, the salary for the gig is between $115,000 to $128,000 per year.
Qualified candidates can apply here.