In the wake of the Orlando terror attack, Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) has proposed legislation that would ban gun purchases for anyone who has been on a watch list “in the preceding five years.”
In other words, Feinstein is pushing a watch list of people who used to be on watch lists.
According to the New York Times, the NRA voiced opposition to Feinstein’s legislation by pointing out that anyone that has kept up with the actual watch list through the years knows that the “vast majority” of those listed on it have never been charged with a crime. Therefore, taking away their Second Amendment rights ignores their due process protections.
And the Times points out that the list has contained high-profile aberrations throughout the years, with names of “Senator Ted Kennedy and Representative John Lewis” both showing up on the list for a time.
Breibart News previously reported House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-WI) explained that a knee-jerk gun control expansion is not the right approach to the Orlando terror attack. He pledged to stand in defense of Americans’ due process protections and said the proper course of action is to review the FBI’s investigation of Omar Mateen to ascertain if something was done wrong or should have been done differently.
On June 16 Senator Joe Manchin (D-WV) suggested that due process protections were standing in the way of securing more gun control. He said, “due process is killing us.”
AWR Hawkins is the Second Amendment columnist for Breitbart News and political analyst for Armed American Radio. Follow him on Twitter: @AWRHawkins. Reach him directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.