Australian artist, musician and television entertainer Rolf Harris has been found guilty of all twelve counts of indecent assault. The charges relate to assaults against females aged 19 in 1984, aged seven or eight in 1968 or 1969, and aged 14 in 1975.
The 84 year old has now been bailed by Southwark Crown Court in London and he will be sentenced on Friday. Until then, he is expected to stay at his home in Bray, close to Maidenhead. He has been told to expect a custodial sentence.
Whilst he admitted that he had not always been “whiter than white” he did deny all of the charges. Some of the allegations related to the best friend of his daughter Bindi who he claimed to have only had an affair with as an adult, but she said he had sexually abused her as a young teenager. She claimed the abuse only ended aged 29 and had led to her developing a problem with alcohol.
In court, as reported on Breitbart London, Harris admitted to admiring the girl in her bikini when she was just 13 years old.
The conviction ends a glittering career for Harris, who was appointed a Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE) in 1968; he was advanced to Officer (OBE) in 1977, then to Commander (CBE) in 2006.
In 1989 he was appointed a Member of the Order of Australia (AM), and was advanced to Officer (AO) in the Queen’s 2012 Birthday Honours. In 2001 he was awarded the Centenary Medal “for service to entertainment, charity and the community”.
He is likely to be stripped of all these medals, which is customary when a recipient is convicted of a criminal offence.
The conviction will raise further concerns about the actions of celebrities in the 1970s and 1980s, many of whom have been accused of abusing their position to abuse children and young people. The allegations came about after the late entertainer Sir Jimmy Saville was exposed as a prolific sex offender.
Harris had been nicknamed “the octopus” by those working in the media industry because of rumours he groped women. There are now rumours that more accusers will come forward.