Work began Sunday to remove the wreckage of Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 from rebel-held territory in eastern Ukraine, four months after it was shot down claiming 298 lives.
An AFP journalist saw workers from the emergency ministry of the self-proclaimed Donetsk People’s Republic begin cutting pieces of the plane’s wreckage with metal saws at the crash site near the village of Grabove.
Investigators from The Netherlands heading the probe into the downing, in which 193 Dutch citizens died, confirmed that they were overseeing the removal of the debris and said it could take “several days”.
The investigation team said the wreckage would be collected close to the crash site before being transported to the government-controlled city of Kharkiv and then flown to The Netherlands.
Ukraine and the West accuse Russia of supplying pro-Moscow rebels with the missile that shot down the Boeing 777 as it flew from Amsterdam en route to Kuala Lumpur on July 17, in an incident that increased pressure on Moscow over its role in the conflict in Ukraine.
Moscow and the Kremlin-backed insurgents have strenuously denied they were behind the downing of the plane, pointing the finger of blame instead at Kiev.
The probe team has so far managed to collect and identify the remains of 289 of the victims from the tragedy but recovery operations have been disrupted by fierce fighting in the area between government forces and insurgents.