SIGN UP FOR THE BREITBART EMAIL NEWSLETTER

Pele taken off dialysis, says hospital

Pele taken off dialysis, says hospital

Brazil legend Pele was taken off intensive kidney treatment on Sunday and his condition was improving, said the Sao Paulo hospital that is treating him.

The 74-year-old was described as “lucid” and “doing well”, but “still in intensive care”.

Pele had been undergoing hemodialysis, a procedure that involves filtering a patient’s blood through an artificial kidney that cleans it before returning it to the body.

Certain local media had been reporting since Thursday night that ‘O Rei’ (The King) was suffering from septicaemia after not responding to the antibiotics and described his condition as “delicate”.

Pele, whose real name is Edson Arantes do Nascimento, is widely regarded as the greatest player of all time.

He was admitted to hospital on Monday, diagnosed with a urinary infection and given intravenous antibiotics.

On Thursday, the hospital said he had been placed in intensive care after his condition became “clinically unstable,” causing widespread alarm.

But Pele insisted on social media that he was fine and had simply been moved to another room for more privacy.

Pele initially underwent surgery for kidney stones at the same hospital on November 13.

P.S. DO YOU WANT MORE ARTICLES
LIKE THIS ONE DELIVERED RIGHT TO YOUR INBOX?
SIGN UP FOR THE DAILY BREITBART NEWSLETTER.


Comment count on this article reflects comments made on Breitbart.com and Facebook. Visit Breitbart's Facebook Page.

SIGN UP FOR THE OFFICIAL
BREITBART EMAIL NEWSLETTER

GET TODAY'S TOP NEWS DELIVERED RIGHT TO YOUR INBOX

I don't want to get today's top news.

x