The European Parliament refused to hold a one minute silence for the victims of Britain’s July 7th terrorist attacks, Breitbart London understands, before caving to the THIRD request of the day.
Today marks the 10th anniversary of the Islamist terror attack, which has been officially marked in the United Kingdom with a wreath laying ceremony and an official minute’s silence at 11:30am.
But Brussels bureaucrats initially said “Non” to the idea, proposed by UKIP Member of the European Parliament Gerard Batten.
UKIP’s Steven Woolfe MEP tweeted earlier:
— Steven Woolfe MEP (@Steven_Woolfe) July 7, 2015
Only after a second and a third request for the silence was the one minute slot granted for MEPs in the parliamentary chamber.
A UKIP source told Breitbart London that the third request was made by a non-British MEP, reflected in the video below. Spanish MEP Teresa Jimenez-Becerril Barrio declared in the chamber: “I’m not sure why we didn’t hold a minute’s silence for the victims of the attack in London. Two people in this chamber asked for it and I think that would be sufficient to ask the chamber to stand for a minute of silence.”
The Chairman of the session finally gave in, declaring, “If you wish to have a minute’s silence we can do.”
The very fact that MEPs had to lobby for the silence will no doubt be the cause of upset for those commemorating the lives of those who died in the atrocities. In total 52 civilians were killed in the attacks, with another 700 injured.
The European Parliament has previously, such as in 2011, marked the 7/7 atrocities with a one minute silence.