The United States will this year double military aid to its ally the Philippines, which is engaged in a prolonged maritime stand-off with China, the foreign department in Manila said on Friday.
The ramping-up of Washington’s defence assistance will see military aid in 2012 jump to $30 million as well as “real-time information sharing” on the Philippines’ maritime territory, department spokesman Raul Hernandez said.
The increased aid was confirmed during the recent US visit of Philippine Foreign Secretary Alberto del Rosario and Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin for talks with their US counterparts Hillary Clinton and Leon Panetta.
They discussed the almost month-long face-off with China over a shoal in the South China Sea that is claimed by both countries.
The Philippines also asked the US for ships, planes and radars to help modernise its poorly equipped military.
Hernandez said the “foreign-military financing” aid could be used to buy new equipment or maintain existing military resources.
The US State Department also said “it will explore additional creative funding streams for the Philippines”, he told AFP.
He did not specify how this would work.
The Philippines was already due to receive from the United States a Hamilton-class cutter later this year, following the acquisition of a similar patrol ship last year, he stressed.
In recent months, the Philippines has complained of increasing aggressiveness from China, which claims all of the South China Sea, even up to the coasts of the Philippines and other Asian nations.