An American has been killed on the 11th anniversary of 9/11 as Islamist mobs attacked and burned the U.S. consulate in Libya.
A US official was killed and another wounded on Tuesday as an armed mob protesting over a film they said offended Islam attacked the US consulate in Benghazi, an official told AFP.
Libya’s deputy interior minister Wanis al-Sharef said: “One American official was killed and another injured in the hand. The other staff members were evacuated and are safe and sound.”
He could not say if the dead man was a diplomat.
It is so far the only death from mob attacks in Libya and Egypt over Islamist anger at an alleged film in production by Coptic Christians focusing on Islam. The United States spent 9/11 apologizing for hurting Islamists’ feelings in Egypt which incited protesters to desecrate our flag and storm the walls of the U.S. embassy.
Afterwards, President Obama rejected a meeting with Binyamin Netanyahu, saying that his schedule was full, the same day he announced another appearance on the “Late Show with David Letterman.”