Counsel to the President Kathryn H. Ruemmler submitted a letter to the Senate which described a phone call former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton placed on the night of September 11, 2012 but reveals no phone calls were made by President Obama during the terrorist attack on the American consulate in Benghazi, Libya.
The letter was provided in reply to questions by Senators John McCain (R-AZ), Lindsey Graham (R-SC), and Kelly Ayotte (R-NH) regarding the administration’s response to the Benghazi attack.
In fact, according to Ruemmler’s letter, Obama’s first outreach regarding the Benghazi attacks was to Libyan President Magariaf “on the evening of September 12.”
Despite that fact, Ruemmler claimed the President directed an “intensive response” which included “13 meetings of interagency Principals and Deputies within a week of the attack.”
This revelation corresponds with what Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta said when questioned last week about Benghazi. He claimed neither Obama nor the White House called to consult with him while the attack was taking place.
Panetta said he didn’t see or hear from Obama after 5 PM on September 11, 2012.