Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton could be beckoned back to Capitol Hill to testify about last year’s deadly terror attack on the U.S. Consulate and CIA annex in Benghazi, Libya, Chairman of the House Oversight Committee Issa (R-CA) told Fox News.
“We can certainly have Mrs. Clinton back,” Issa said. “We want to be respectful of her time, so getting to the facts, including people below her, first is critical.”
The House Oversight Committee’s Republican staff released a report earlier this week claiming the State Department’s Accountability Review Board (ARB) allowed senior Senior State Department officials to go blameless in the chain of events that occured before, during, and after the attacks on September 12, 2012. The attacks took the lives of four Americans in Benghazi: U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens, Foreign Service Officer Sean Smith, and the two former Navy Seals, Ty Woods and Glen Doherty.
The Oversight Committee report claims Undersecretary for Management Patrick Kennedy, who State Department official Mark Thompson blamed for discouraging a rescue mission to Benghazi, also escaped blame. In a statement to Congress later read aloud by Congressman Jason Chaffetz (R-UT), Thompson said, “I am told that Pat Kennedy participated in a very senior conference call with the White House and discouraged the [Foreign Emergency Support Team] option.”
Kennedy is a witness at the House Foreign Affairs Committee hearing on Benghazi and is expected to be questioned on why he or Clinton allowed State Department facilities in Benghazi to have sub-standard security.
“If he (Kennedy) doesn’t want to tell us why people above him knew and allowed it, then all we can assume is that he kept it to himself,” Issa told Fox.