Skip to content

Taliban Suicide Bomber, Gunmen Attack Afghan Parliament

A Taliban suicide bomber and at least six gunmen attacked the Afghan parliament as lawmakers voted to endorse a new defense minister. “A woman and a 10-year-old girl were killed and 31 civilians were injured,” reports USA TODAY. Some news outlets report that seven gunmen were involved in the assault while others say six.

The Taliban reportedly claimed responsibility for the attack, saying it was meant to coincide with parliament’s vote on a new defense minister, Masoom Stanikzai.

Quoting Ebadullah Karimi, a spokesman for Kabul police, Reuters reports that “a Taliban fighter detonated a car loaded with explosives outside parliament gates… raising questions about how the driver got through several security checkpoints.”

“Six gunmen took up positions in a building near parliament,” added Karimi, “but never breached the compound’s gates.”

The gunmen fired “rockets and AK-47 machine guns,” according to CNN. However, Afghan security forces managed to repel the attack.

Sediq Seddiqi, the spokesman for the Afghan Interior Ministry, reportedly said that all gunmen were killed in the firefight and no members of parliament (MPs) had been injured.

“The audacious assault came as the Taliban captured two districts in as many days in the country’s north, displaying their ability to operate on multiple fronts,” notes The Associated Press (AP).

“They have made substantial gains recently in Helmand in the south-west, and have been advancing across the north of the country, capturing two districts of the Kunduz province in recent days,” explains BBC.

Taliban violence has increased in Afghanistan since the withdrawal of the majority of U.S.-led foreign troops at the end of last year, when America and NATO declared the end to their combat mission there.

“Afghan forces have struggled to fight off the Taliban since the U.S. and NATO combat mission officially concluded at the end of last year,” reports AP. “More than 2,300 Afghan soldiers, police and pro-government fighters have been killed since the start of the year — more than the total number of U.S. troops killed since the 2001 invasion that ended Taliban rule.”

The U.S.-led forces ended their combat mission during the deadliest year for Afghan civilians and the country’s security troops.

Taliban terrorists “are pushing to take territory more than 13 years after U.S.-led military intervention toppled them from power,” notes Reuters.


Comment count on this article reflects comments made on Breitbart.com and Facebook. Visit Breitbart's Facebook Page.

Taliban suicide bomber, gunmen attack Afghan parliament

KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — The Taliban launched a complex attack on the Afghan parliament Monday, with a suicide car bomber striking at the entrance and gunmen battling police as lawmakers were meeting inside to confirm the appointment of a defense minister, police and witnesses said.

Interior Ministry spokesman Sediq Sediqqi said the attack began with a car bomb explosion near the entrance. Gunmen then attempted to storm the compound but were pushed back by security forces and eventually took refuge in a nearby building under construction, he said, adding that police have surrounded the structure.

Sediqqi said all the MPs inside parliament were safe. Health Ministry spokesman Mohammad Ismail Kahousi said 18 civilians were wounded, including two women and two children.

Sidiqa Mubarez, a member of parliament, said the building was rocked by a large explosion and that some people were wounded by flying glass. She said the explosion happened shortly after Masoom Stanekzai had arrived to be confirmed as defense minister, a post that has been vacant for nine months.

The Taliban said in a statement that they carried out a suicide bombing outside parliament.

An Associated Press reporter heard heavy gunfire outside the parliament and saw black smoke billowing from the entrance as ambulances raced to the scene. The reporter later heard sporadic shooting from the building where the militants were said to be holed up.

Just down the street, hundreds of children were evacuated from a school.

Taliban insurgents have launched complex attacks on government targets in the capital in the past.

The insurgents have also been advancing across the country’s north, capturing two districts of the Kunduz province in as many days.

Mohammad Yusuf Ayubi, head of the provincial council, said the insurgents attacked the district of Dashti Archi from four sides, setting off heavy fighting before seizing full control of the area early Monday. He said local forces suffered casualties but did not have a precise count.

He said around 150,000 residents of the district were unable to leave.

The Taliban confirmed that they had captured the district, as well as ammunition and four tanks, in an emailed statement.

The Taliban seized control of the Chardara district in Kunduz on Sunday. The insurgents attacked the provincial capital, also called Kunduz, in a surprise attack in April and nearly captured the city before Afghan forces pushed them back.

Afghan forces have struggled to fend off Taliban advances since the U.S. and NATO combat mission officially concluded at the end of last year.