Skip to content

Coach: Nkemdiche’s status for Sugar Bowl undetermined

Mississippi coach Hugh Freeze has not made a decision regarding Robert Nkemdiche’s status for the Sugar Bowl after the defensive lineman was charged with possession of marijuana following a 15-foot fall at an Atlanta hotel.

Freeze said he has had a brief conversation by phone with Nkemdiche, who apologized, and his dad. He said the 6-foot-4, 296-pound junior has stitches in his back and leg and a swollen ankle.

Freeze addressed Nkemdiche’s status on Monday before the team’s first practice for the Sugar Bowl. The coach said he needs to gather more facts and talk more with Nkemdiche before making a decision about any punishment.

Police say the 21-year-old from Loganville, Georgia broke a hotel room window, walked about 15 feet, climbed over a wall and fell roughly 15 feet late Saturday night. He was taken to the hospital.

“Any time these things happen with young men there’s no cut and dried answer, particularly when you don’t know all the facts and issues,” Freeze said. “I haven’t even had a chance to visit with him (in person). I certainly owe him that before we talk about details. My main concern when I first heard it was his health, of course.”

Nkemdiche was expected back on the Ole Miss campus later Monday.

A police report said a double pane window in the room had been busted and the room was in “complete disarray.” The report also said there were “approximately 7 rolled marijuana cigarettes” in plain sight that police linked to Nkemdiche.

The police investigation is ongoing, the report stated.

Ole Miss (9-3) faces Oklahoma State (10-2) on Jan. 1 in the Sugar Bowl.

When police arrived on Saturday night, Nkemdiche was lying on the concrete in front of the Hyatt Hotel where he was “conscious and breathing.” There were several “associates” of Nkemdiche at the scene but “none of them claimed to know what transpired,” according to the report.

“There’s a blessing that he wasn’t on the 10th floor,” Freeze said. “It could have been tragic.”

The talented Nkemdiche has more to worry about than just his status for the upcoming Sugar Bowl — he’s considered a potential first-round NFL draft pick this spring and the incident could affect his draft stock.

He was the consensus top recruit in the country three years ago, anchored the Rebels’ defensive line this season and was selected to the AP All-America second team on Sunday.

___

Associated Press writer Jeff Martin in Atlanta contributed to this story.

___

Follow David Brandt on Twitter: www.twitter.com/davidbrandtAP


Comment count on this article reflects comments made on Breitbart.com and Facebook. Visit Breitbart's Facebook Page.