Skip to content

Detention suspended for Palestinian hunger striker with brain damage

ASHKELON, Israel, Aug. 19 (UPI) — The Israeli Supreme Court on Wednesday temporarily suspended the detention of a Palestinian who sustained brain damage after a 65-day hunger strike.

Alleged “Islamic Jihad” member Mohammad Allaan was arrested in November 2014 and placed under administrative detention for two six-month periods without facing charges. He protested his detention by refusing food, landing him in a coma last week.

Allaan is unconscious at Barzilai Medical center in Ashkelon, Israel, where he has not been force-fed but injected with supplements necessary for his survival. Doctors said he is in serious condition and has sustained brain damage, the BBC reported.

A lawyer representing the state told the Supreme Court Allaan could be released immediately if a MRI scan proved he had irreversible brain damage. The court, though, immediately ordered the suspension of his detention, The Guardian reported.

“[Allaan] does not pose a danger because of his medical condition, and so the administrative order is not active now,” wrote Justice Elyakim Rubinstein.

Under the conditions of the suspension, Allaan will remain at the hospital, but his family is allowed to visit him, unlike before.

Once Allaan’s condition improves, he could apply again for full release.


Comment count on this article reflects comments made on Breitbart.com and Facebook. Visit Breitbart's Facebook Page.