WASHINGTON, Jan. 12 (UPI) — Republican presidential candidates Carly Fiorina and Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) were dropped from Thursday’s main GOP debate due to the two campaigns descending poll numbers.
Fox Business Network, host of the debate, announced Monday that neither former Hewlett Packard CEO Fiorina nor Senator Paul, R-Ky. qualified based on Fox’s criteria. Paul’s campaign has vowed to boycott the event.
To qualify, candidates had to be in the top six of an average of recent national polls recognized by the network, or be in the top five of an average of the most recent polls in Iowa and New Hampshire, the first two primary states. Fox said it utilized 17 separate polls to reach it’s main stage lineup.
Though highly touted as his political career began, Senator Paul’s presidential campaign has struggled to raise money or draw interest to his Libertarian views, which include a non-interventionist foreign policy that puts him closer to Senator Bernie Saunders, D-Vt., than any of his GOP rivals. His views have been especially ill-timed after the terrorist attacks in Paris in November.
Paul said he would follow on his promise to avoid the event if he wasn’t included on the main stage and would instead campaign in New Hampshire and Iowa.
He argued polls haven’t shown his campaign’s recent momentum and if you exclude the margin of error, he is well above the Fox news cutoff.
“I think if you have a national campaign, you’ve raised a significant amount of money, you’re on the ballot, you’ve employed staff and you’re actively campaigning, you’ve got to be in the debate,” Paul said last week.
Fiorina briefly shot up in the polls after a standout performance in an undercard debate last fall, but has since fallen back to low single digits.

Comment count on this article reflects comments made on Breitbart.com and Facebook. Visit Breitbart's Facebook Page.