CHICAGO, Aug. 21 (UPI) — A small Illinois supermarket was ordered by a jury Friday to pay nearly $9 million to former basketball great Michael Jordan, for using the star’s name in an advertisement six years ago.
The now defunct store, called Dominick’s, apparently used Jordan’s name in a 2009 promotional ad, which was published inside Sports Illustrated to commemorate the guard’s induction into the basketball hall of fame.
Safeway, which owned Dominick’s, previously said Jordan should be paid $126,000 for the unauthorized use of his name. However, a sports economic expert testified that Jordan’s fair market value is about $10 million — which is likely the main reason jurors upped the penalty to $8.9 million.
The verdict was handed down in Chicago Friday evening.
“I’m pleased with today’s verdict,” Jordan said. “No one — whether or not they’re a public figure — should have to worry about their identity being used without their permission.”
Jordan is one of the most marketable sports figures in the world. Having led the Chicago Bulls to six NBA championships in 1991, 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997 and 1998, Jordan still makes hundreds of millions in endorsements.
During the trial, Jordan’s lawyers revealed that the star made about $480 million from Nike between 2000 and 2012 — and that he turned down one endorsement deal that would have paid him $80 million, ESPN reported.
“The case was not about the money, as I plan to donate the proceeds to charity. It was about honesty and integrity,” Jordan said. “I hope this case sends a clear message, both here in the United States and around the world, that I will continue to be vigilant about protecting my name and identity.
“I also hope the size of the monetary reward will deter others from using someone else’s identity and believe they will only pay a small penalty.”

Comment count on this article reflects comments made on Breitbart.com and Facebook. Visit Breitbart's Facebook Page.