Skip to content

IOC accepts Pyeongchang’s refusal to move Olympic venues

The IOC has accepted South Korea’s venue plans for the 2018 Winter Games in Pyeongchang after organizers declined its request to move events to save money.

The International Olympic Committee and Korean organizers said in a joint statement Friday that “the venue master plan for the Pyeongchang 2018 Games has been finalized.”

The announcement came following a two-day project review by the IOC’s coordination commission.

Last month, the IOC urged Korean organizers to halt construction on a new bobsled, luge and skeleton venue and relocate the events to an existing sliding center in another country. The IOC said the move would save $120 million in construction costs and $3.5 million in yearly maintenance fees.

IOC coordination commission chair Gunilla Lindberg says the South Korean government and Olympic organizers “have made it clear that they will maintain their current venue plan.”


Comment count on this article reflects comments made on Breitbart.com and Facebook. Visit Breitbart's Facebook Page.