Skip to content

Jay Z defends music streaming service Tidal

NEW YORK, N.Y., April 27 (UPI) — Jay Z went on a rant on his rarely used Twitter Sunday, defending the level of success of his music streaming service Tidal.

The service had a surge of attention and subscribers following the announcement but since then has dropped out of the top 750 app downloads on Apple’s iTunes.

Tidal is doing just fine. We have over 770,000 subs. We have been in business less than one month. #TidalFacts— Mr. Carter (@S_C_) April 26, 2015

We are here for the long haul. Please give us a chance to grow & get better. #TidalFacts— Mr. Carter (@S_C_) April 26, 2015

Comparing his service to iTunes and Spotify, he reminded followers those didn’t have immediate success either.

Jay Z invited other top artists including Kanye West, Rihanna and Jack White to join in on the venture but other artists have criticized the service as only beneficial if you’re already a big name.

“I think they totally blew it by bringing out a bunch of millionaires and billionaires and propping them up onstage and then having them all complain about not being paid,” said Death Cab for Cutie’s Ben Gibbard.

Jay Z said his service supports indie artists more than his competitors and returns most of the royalties to the artists.

There are many big companies that are spending millions on a smear campaign. We are not anti-anyone, we are pro-artist & fan. #TidalFacts— Mr. Carter (@S_C_) April 26, 2015

Indie artists who want to work directly w/ us keep 100% of their music. “If you don’t want the CEOs all in the videos” haa #tidalfacts— Mr. Carter (@S_C_) April 26, 2015

Tidal pays 75% royalty rate to ALL artists, writers and producers – not just the founding members on stage.— Mr. Carter (@S_C_) April 26, 2015


Comment count on this article reflects comments made on Breitbart.com and Facebook. Visit Breitbart's Facebook Page.