Skip to content

Matt Damon shares plot details for upcoming ‘Bourne’ movie

LOS ANGELES, Dec. 23 (UPI) — Matt Damon has revealed what fans can expect in the upcoming fifth Bourne movie including an epic car chase and a globetrotting adventure.

The Martian star sat down with Variety to discuss the next installment in the long-running action series and how he wanted to return to the franchise following his last stint as the character in 2007’s Bourne Ultimatum.

“I wasn’t sure. I hoped I wasn’t because I really liked the franchise and the character but I didn’t see a way to go,” Damon said after being asked if he was done appearing as the super spy. “But I wasn’t giving up on the idea of doing it. Paul and I kind of talked years ago about perhaps the way forward was just to let time pass and allow the world to change a little.”

The passage of time will be seen in the new film Damon revealed, which will place Jason Bourne is a new world he is unfamiliar with. “So when this next one comes out in ’16, it will have been 12 years — in movie years — that the character as been off the grid. So what’s happened in those intervening years gives you a story,” the actor said.

In terms of location, the 45-year-old confirmed that audiences will be taken around the world as Bourne is seen in action in Athens for a “nighttime riot scene,” Berlin, D.C. and even Las Vegas for a “big car chase on the strip.”

Earlier this year Damon also mentioned that the film will take place in a “post-Snowden” world referring to National Security Agency leaker Edward Snowden.

The film which started shooting in August is set for release on July 15, 2016 and reunites Damon with series director Paul Greengrass and actress Julia Stiles who reprises her role as Nicky Parsons. Alicia Vikander and Tommy Lee Jones have joined the cast.


Comment count on this article reflects comments made on Breitbart.com and Facebook. Visit Breitbart's Facebook Page.