Skip to content

Official: Militant pullout on hold from area near Damascus

BEIRUT (AP) — An official says the agreed-on pullout of a few thousand Syrian militants, including IS fighters, and their families from a neighborhood on the southern edge of Damascus has been put on hold.

The Yarmouk neighborhood is home to a Palestinian refugee camp and has been hotly contested and fought-over in the Syrian conflict.

IS seized large parts of Yarmouk earlier this year.

Palestinian official in Damascus Anwar Abdulhadi told The Associated Press on Saturday that the withdrawal of the mainly Islamic State militants from Yarmouk is being delayed for “logistical reasons.”

Other unconfirmed reports say the assassination of top rebel commander Zahran Alloush near Damascus on Friday night has torpedoed the deal to evacuate the fighters.


Comment count on this article reflects comments made on Breitbart.com and Facebook. Visit Breitbart's Facebook Page.