BANGUI, Central African Republic, Aug. 8 (UPI) — A Rwandan soldier serving as a United Nations peacekeeper in one of the world’s poorest countries turned his gun on his fellow troops Saturday, killing four and wounding eight before killing himself, officials said.
The shooting occurred at around 5:45 a.m. Saturday in the Central African Republic, where U.N. personnel have been supporting the peacekeeping mission for two years. According to investigators, all 12 victims were also members of Rwanda’s military.
Last year, the U.N. established a permanent peacekeeping force of nearly 12,000 people — to which the Rwanda Defence Force contributes.
Authorities are not yet sure about a motive for Saturday’s assault, which occurred in the capital city of Bangui.
“Investigations have immediately commenced to establish the motive behind this deplorable shooting of his RDF colleagues. We suspect terrorism without ruling out mental illness to be the cause,” Rwandan military spokesman Brig. Gen. Joseph Nzabamwita said.
The Central African Republic, which was formerly governed by France, consistently rates as one of the poorest nations in the world. Violence erupted in the country in 2013 after Muslim rebels ousted President Francois Bozize. Competing factions have been trying to seize power ever since.
More than four million people live in the country.
“RDF sends heartfelt condolences to the families of the deceased and the entire RDF fraternity,” Nzabamwita added.
Comment count on this article reflects comments made on Breitbart.com and Facebook. Visit Breitbart's Facebook Page.