PRETORIA, South Africa, Aug. 24 (UPI) — The parents of Reeva Steenkamp, who was killed by South African track star Oscar Pistorius, were strongly critical of Pistorius’ court claims.
Pistorius was convicted of culpable homicide in her 2013 shooting death, and received a five-year prison sentence. His scheduled release to house arrest after 10 months in prison, expected last week, was delayed by South Africa’s justice minister.
Pistorius claimed in court he mistook Steenkamp, his girlfriend, for an intruder.
“What actually came out in court is not the truth,” Barry Steenkamp, the victim’s father, told Australia’s Channel Seven TV in an interview broadcast over the weekend. “He got angry, she went off to the toilet, locked herself inside, and then him pulling out the gun and shooting.”
“Why didn’t he just let her walk away?” her mother, June Steenkamp said. Both Steenkamp’s parents have repeatedly accused Pistorius of shooting their daughter deliberately.
June Steenkamp added she has forgiven Pistorius for the crime, saying, “If you’re a Christian, you have to forgive, otherwise that poison will sit in your body and destroy you. It’s better to use my good energy in the right place and try to save other women instead of wondering what’s going on with Oscar.”

Comment count on this article reflects comments made on Breitbart.com and Facebook. Visit Breitbart's Facebook Page.