Skip to content

The Latest: 18 guests among the 20 dead in Mali hotel attack

BAMAKO, Mali (AP) — The latest on the attack on a hotel in the Malian capital of Bamako. (All times local):

___

1:15 p.m.

Mali’s interior minister says that of the 20 people killed in Friday’s attack on a luxury hotel in the capital, 18 were guests, while the remaining two were Malian police.

Salif Traore said Saturday at a press conference that 17 guests were also injured along with three Malian police officers.

Officials had earlier confirmed that two assailants were killed on Friday after a siege that lasted more than seven hours. Security forces are now hunting “more than three” suspects who may also have been involved.

Traore credited Malian security forces for their quick response which he said limited the number of fatalities. He said the assailants were “determined to die” regardless of the security measures in place.

___

1 p.m.

A spokeswoman for the Russian foreign ministry says six Russians were killed in Friday’s attack in Mali on the Radisson Blu hotel.

Maria Zakharova said in a statement on Saturday that the Russians, along with 13 other foreign nationals, were killed by the attackers at the hotel restaurant.

The brazen assault on the Radisson Blu hotel in the capital killed 20 people as well as two assailants.


Comment count on this article reflects comments made on Breitbart.com and Facebook. Visit Breitbart's Facebook Page.