CHICAGO (AP) — The latest on the aftermath of the shooting of a black teenager by a white Chicago police officer (all times local):
2:05 p.m.
The lawyer for a white Chicago police officer charged with fatally shooting a black teenager says he’s hopeful the officer can post bond in the “very near future.”
A judge on Monday set bond at $1.5 million for Jason Van Dyke. He was charged with first-degree murder last week for the shooting 17-year-old Laquan McDonald 16 times in October 2014. Van Dyke was charged the same day authorities released video of the shooting.
Lawyer Dan Herbert says Van Dyke is pleased the judge set a bond amount after ordering him held without bond last week.
Herbert says Van Dyke is “very scared about the consequences he is facing.” He also says Van Dyke “absolutely” can defend his actions in court. Herbert says he has information that isn’t yet public.
___
1:05 p.m.
A Cook County judge has set bond at $1.5 million for a white Chicago police officer charged with murder after a squad car video caught him shooting a black teenager 16 times.
A judge set the bond Monday afternoon for Officer Jason Van Dyke.
Van Dyke has been locked up since Nov. 24, when prosecutors charged him with first-degree murder in the shooting death of 17-year-old Laquan McDonald.
The same day, authorities released the dashcam video that shows McDonald — armed with a small knife and walking down a street on the city’s southwest side — being shot repeatedly by the 37-year-old Van Dyke. A judge had ordered the video released the previous week.
The bond amount means Van Dyke will need $150,000 to be released. Van Dyke’s attorney has said the officer isn’t a flight risk.

Comment count on this article reflects comments made on Breitbart.com and Facebook. Visit Breitbart's Facebook Page.