Skip to content

The Latest: French PM says some victims yet to be identified

PARIS (AP) — The latest on the deadly attacks in Paris. (All times local):

10:00 a.m.

French Prime Minister Manuel Valls says some of the victims from last Friday’s attacks in Paris, which killed 129 people, have still to be identified.

Valls, who was speaking Tuesday on France Inter radio, did not say how many of the victims have yet to be identified and acknowledged that authorities still did not know enough about the attacks that took place outside the Stade de France stadium.

He said that perhaps two or three “teams” of bombers carried out the attacks outside the stadium during a soccer match between France and Germany.

___

9:30 a.m.

France’s Interior Minister has said that authorities carried out “128 police raids last night.”

Bernard Cazeneuve spoke on French radio France Info Tuesday and did not give specific details about the Monday night raids that have followed Friday’s deadly Paris attacks that killed 129 people and injured many more.

He said that “the majority of those who were involved in this attack were unknown to our services.”

Cazeneuve also said that 115,000 police, gendarmes and soldiers have been mobilized to protect French citizens. He pledged to boost funding for police equipment — which he said that dropped by 17 percent from 2007 to 2012.

___

9:30 a.m.

An Israeli Cabinet minister is linking a decision to ban an Islamist party to last week’s attacks in Paris.

Israel on Tuesday announced that it outlawed the Northern Branch of the Islamic Movement, blaming the group for inciting Arab Israelis to violence amid a two month-long outburst of Israeli-Palestinian violence.

Israel Public Security Minister Gilad Erdan says in a statement Tuesday that “Israel must act as an example and spearhead the struggle against radical Islam whose emissaries we saw massacring innocent people in Paris,” among other places. He says the group shares an ideology with the Islamic State and the Islamic militant Hamas.

The party provides religious and educational services for Israeli Arabs. It accuses Israel of trying to take over a sensitive Jerusalem holy site, a charge Israel denies.

___

9 a.m.

Activists say a new wave of airstrikes have struck the northern Syrian city of Raqqa the de facto capital of the Islamic State group.

The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights and the Raqqa-based collective called Raqqa is Being Slaughtered Silently reported seven airstrikes on the city.

Both activist groups said the airstrikes hit targets on the southern edge of Raqqa but had no immediate word on casualties.

In France, military spokesman Col. Gilles Jaron said the strikes early Tuesday destroyed a command post and training camp.

They were the second wave of airstrikes by France against IS after attacks killed at least 129 people around Paris on Friday.


Comment count on this article reflects comments made on Breitbart.com and Facebook. Visit Breitbart's Facebook Page.