Skip to content

The Latest: Hezbollah, Syrian troops kill IS figure

BEIRUT (AP) — The latest developments regarding the war in Syria. All times local.

1:35 p.m.

A Hezbollah TV station says a joint operation by the Lebanese militant group and Syrian security agents killed an Islamic State figure suspected of involvement in Beirut’s deadly bombing earlier this month.

AL-Manar TV says Abdul-Salam Hendawi, also known as Abu Abdo, died in an ambush in an IS-held area in Syria’s central province of Homs.

It says Hendawi was responsible for bringing into Lebanon two suicide bombers who carried out the Nov. 12 attack in southern Beirut. The attack killed 43 people and wounded more than 200.

Thursday’s report did not say when the ambush on Hendawi took place. It added that his main job was to transport suicide attackers from the northern Syrian city of Raqqa into Lebanon.

The Islamic State group did not immediately confirm Hendawi’s death.

___

2:25 p.m.

Russian President Vladimir Putin says Turkey still has not apologized for the downing of a Russian warplane or given assurances that “the culprits of this crime” will be punished.

Previously warm relations between the two countries have soured after Turkey on Tuesday shot down a Russian Su-24 on a bombing mission near the Syria border.

Speaking at the Kremlin on Thursday, Putin complained that he has not received an apology from Turkey nor an offer “to make up for the damages.” Russia previously insisted that its plane never violated the Turkish airspace as Turkey claimed.

He said he regretted the fact that relations between Turkey and Russia have been driven into a stalemate.


Comment count on this article reflects comments made on Breitbart.com and Facebook. Visit Breitbart's Facebook Page.