Skip to content

The Latest: Russia says 2018 World Cup won’t be affected

1140 GMT (7:40 a.m. EDT)

Russia says the resignation of FIFA President Sepp Blatter hasn’t affected the country’s plans to host the 2018 World Cup.

Russia, which was a staunch supporter of Blatter, says it will continue to work with him until he steps down and a new election for FIFA president is held.

Switzerland has launched an investigation into the bidding process for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups.

President Vladimir Putin’s spokesman, Dmitry Peskov, says “we are assuming that Mr. Blatter will fulfil his obligations until the next congress is held, so the work is continuing and our cooperation with FIFA is continuing,” in comments reported by Russia’s Tass agency.

Peskov added: “The main thing is that Russia is continuing its preparations for the 2018 World Cup. All the plans are being implemented and the work is being carried out.”

Russia’s preparations to host the tournament are already well underway, with all of the 12 stadiums either complete or under construction.

On Tuesday, the acting president of the Russian Football Union said he was backing UEFA President Michel Platini to succeed Blatter.

___

1120 GMT (7:20 a.m. EDT)

U.S. Attorney General Loretta Lynch has declined to comment on FIFA President Sepp Blatter’s resignation or whether he was himself under investigation.

Lynch, who was in Latvia for a meeting with EU justice ministers, told reporters Wednesday: “It’s an open case and so we will now be speaking through the courts.”

Lynch added that the U.S. hopes that FIFA “will be able to move forward in a way that is supportive of its goals, which are the promotion and regulation of a truly wonderful sport.”

Asked about allegations of suspicious payments related to the awarding of the 2018 World Cup to Russia and the 2022 tournament to Qatar, she said matters related to those bids were part of the Swiss investigation.

___

1105 GMT (7:05 a.m. EDT)

South Africa’s sports minister has denied that a $10 million payment was a bribe to secure the 2010 World Cup.

Fikile Mbalula told reporters Wednesday in Johannesburg that the government wanted to “categorically deny” that South Africa paid any bribes to win the right to host the tournament.

Mbalula characterized the $10 million as an “above-board payment” to help soccer development in the Caribbean region of former FIFA Vice President Jack Warner.

Mbalula also says the South African government hadn’t yet received details of the indictment from the U.S. Justice Department, which alleges the $10 million was used by South Africa to win favor from Warner and other FIFA voters to back South Africa’s bid in 2004.

___

1045 GMT (6:45 a.m. EDT)

Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani, the Qatar Football Association president, says the nation welcomes the Swiss investigation into the bidding process for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups.

He was hitting back at comments from English Football Association Chairman Greg Dyke, who suggested that Qatari football organizers wouldn’t be sleeping very well following the announcement on Tuesday by FIFA President Sepp Blatter that he would be resigning. Qatar won the bid to host the 2022 World Cup, while Russia is due to host the 2018 tournament.

“Mr. Dyke’s instinct to immediately focus on stripping Qatar of the World Cup speaks volumes on his views concerning what will be the first FIFA World Cup to take place in the Middle East,” Sheikh Hamad said, adding that the legal process should be allowed to take its course.

The U.S. launched a federal investigation into corruption in world soccer last week, issuing indictments against 14 current or former soccer officials on May 27.

___

0955 GMT (5:55 a.m. EDT)

In Seoul, former FIFA Vice President Chung Mong-joon says he will think about whether to run for the FIFA presidency.

Chung says “many people” are asking him whether he will run for the post after Sepp Blatter announced he would be stepping down amid a corruption scandal surrounding soccer’s world governing body.

Chung told a news conference on Wednesday: “I’ll carefully think about it before making a decision on whether to participate in the FIFA presidency election.”

Chung, who was a FIFA vice president for 17 years before losing his seat in 2011, says he’ll try to meet many figures in the international soccer community and listen to their opinions.

A FIFA official said Tuesday that an election will likely take place between December and March.

___

0930 GMT (5:30 a.m. EDT)

UEFA has canceled a meeting in Berlin this weekend where member federations were to discuss ways of opposing a Sepp Blatter-led FIFA.

UEFA President Michel Platini says it is better to await developments after Blatter announced plans to resign.

Platini also noted the “unpredictable nature” of a U.S. federal investigation into corruption in world soccer.

He says “considering new information is revealed every day, I believe it is wiser to take time to assess the situation.”

The 54 UEFA member federations were expected to meet on the sidelines of this weekend’s Champions League final.

At least 10 UEFA members are thought to have voted for Blatter despite Platini urging the FIFA president to resign before the election last Friday.


Comment count on this article reflects comments made on Breitbart.com and Facebook. Visit Breitbart's Facebook Page.