Skip to content

Toronto festival pulls ‘London Fields’ amid legal dispute

LOS ANGELES (AP) — “London Fields” was pulled Thursday from the Toronto International Film Festival after the director sued the producers, claiming they altered the movie and added offensive imagery about Islam and the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

Festival organizers said the decision was based on “uncertainty surrounding the creative vision” of the version they had. The debut had been set for Friday.

Director Mathew Cullen filed the lawsuit Tuesday in Los Angeles against Muse Productions Inc. An email sent to representative for Muse Productions was not immediately returned.

Along with the allegations about content, the lawsuit says producers failed to properly finance the film and haven’t properly paid Cullen for his work and expenses, which total more than $1 million.

Cullen is asking a judge to rule the producers do not have the right to attach his name to the film without his consent.

Cullen is a commercial and music video director who has worked with Katy Perry, The Black Eyed Peas and Weezer, according to the lawsuit.

“London Fields,” based on a Martin Amis novel, was intended to be his directorial debut for a feature film.

“In creating their own version of the film, defendants have interjected scenes and footage that are highly offensive and neither appear in the script nor are a part of the film that Cullen was asked to direct,” the lawsuit states.

___

AP Entertainment Writer Anthony McCartney contributed from Los Angeles.


Comment count on this article reflects comments made on Breitbart.com and Facebook. Visit Breitbart's Facebook Page.