Skip to content

Trump vows to release medical records

WASHINGTON, Dec. 3 (UPI) — Donald Trump announced Thursday that his personal doctor will release a medical report detailing the candidate’s state of health within the next two weeks.

Trump tweeted that his full medical report will show “perfection,” saying the world can testify to his “great genes.” Trump’s campaign has repeatedly dodged requests for the candidate’s medical records for the last few months.

The 70-year-old candidate has long touted his lack of an exercise regime, and his diet — rich in steak and bacon. Trump’s announcement came only three hours after Politico published an article about his refusal to release the records.

So far, 68-year-old Hillary Clinton released her medical records in July. GOP contenders Jeb Bush, 62, and Chris Christie, 53, both released theirs in October.

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) is the oldest candidate in the race at 74, and has not released his records yet. People Magazine reported Sanders had hernia surgery on Monday.

The release of medical records has become customary for presidential candidates. The New York Times began interviewing candidates about their health in the 1980’s starting with Ronald Reagan, who took office at the age of 69.

Times health reporter Lawrence Altman told the Columbia Journalism Review in 2008 that concerns about the health of the president and candidates vying to be president are well founded.

“You’ve got Woodrow Wilson with a stroke and his wife allegedly running the affairs of the country; you’ve got Franklin Roosevelt who may or may not have been told how deathly ill he was in his last term, and certainly nothing was told to the country about it,” Lawrence said. “You’ve got Kennedy every which way not acknowledging that he had Addison’s disease; you had [Thomas] Eagleton who had to leave the [Democratic] ticket in ’72 because he didn’t tell [George] McGovern about his past history of electric-shock therapy and depression; and there was [Paul] Tsongas in the mid-1990s and the fact that he had a recurrence after they had maintained that he was cured of cancer.”


Comment count on this article reflects comments made on Breitbart.com and Facebook. Visit Breitbart's Facebook Page.