LOS ANGELES, June 16 (UPI) —
A beekeeper was badly burned after a brush fire broke out on his property in Los Angeles, authorities said.
The beekeeper had suffered burns to one of his arms and his face, and he was taken to a nearby hospital.
He is in fair condition, the Los Angeles Daily News said.
The firefighters, who reported to the blaze at 10:42 a.m. Saturday, were able to extinguish the flames in 37 minutes despite a swarm of bees.
The fire burned through about one-half of an acre, including a cluster of bee hives.
Two firefighters were stung repeatedly by bees, but Los Angeles Fire Department spokesman Brian Humphrey said they are all right and recovering.
"They were quickly able to don individual bee hoods over their helmets, and operate with minimal deficit," Humphrey said.