Skip to content

ISAF soldier, 9 militants die in attack on base in Kandahar province

KABUL, Afghanistan, Jan. 20 (UPI) —


One coalition soldier and nine militants died Monday when the militants attacked a military base in Afghanistan using a car bomb, a provincial official said.




Kandahar provincial government spokesman Javed Faisal said the attack started when a suicide bomber detonated a car at the gate of a base in Zharay district, followed by eight attackers wearing suicide vests engaging in a gunfight with troops, Stars and Stripes reported.




The NATO-led International Security Assistance Force said in a statement reports indicated "moderate damage" to the facility’s outer perimeter.




The ISAF statement said the base had been secured.




A Taliban spokesman claimed responsibility for the attack in a Taliban stronghold and said the militants inflicted heavy casualties.




Comment count on this article reflects comments made on Breitbart.com and Facebook. Visit Breitbart's Facebook Page.