PEARL HARBOR, Hawaii (AP) — The U.S. Navy’s top commander in the Pacific says it’s up to policymakers in Washington whether his sailors patrol within 12 nautical miles of newly constructed islands claimed by China in the South China Sea.
Pacific Fleet Commander Adm. Scott Swift spoke during an interview Thursday amid tensions over Beijing’s territorial claims in the South China Sea and reports the U.S. will sail near the disputed islands to challenge those claims.
Swift told The Associated Press his sailors have the capacity and capability to enter the waters, but he emphasized that the patrols would reinforce international laws and wouldn’t be directed at a specific country.
Defense Secretary Ash Carter said during a news conference last week the U.S. will fly, sail and operate wherever international law permits, including in the South China Sea.
China claims sovereignty over almost all of the South China Sea and its maritime features, while five other governments also claim it in part or in whole.
Comment count on this article reflects comments made on Breitbart.com and Facebook. Visit Breitbart's Facebook Page.