TEHRAN, July 21 (UPI) — Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif defended the nuclear agreement reached last week in an address to parliament in Tehran Tuesday.
Despite criticism from a number of Iranian legislators over the deal with global powers, which traded economic sanctions for limitations to the country’s nuclear ambitions, Zarif staunchly defended his work on the agreement. He called it “balanced” and acknowledged compromise was required.
“No one can say that Iran caved,” Zarif said as the terms of the agreement were formally submitted. “If we want to talk of submission, it’s the submission of the great powers in the face of the people. All of Iran’s defense and security capabilities will be preserved and the country’s regional policies won’t be changed.”
Ali Akbar Salahi, head of Iran’s Atomic Energy Organization, also spoke to parliament, admitting the country’s nuclear program thus far has been an expensive impediment on the economy.
“We made many decisions to advance national interests. We did not pay attention to costs and benefits,” Salahi said.
After testimony the parliament agreed to wait 80 days before voting for or against the agreement. The withholding of an immediate decision can be seen as a way of saving face, and a method of blaming the United States, if the U.S. Congress rejects the deal.

Comment count on this article reflects comments made on Breitbart.com and Facebook. Visit Breitbart's Facebook Page.