After losing Wes Welker to the Broncos, the Patriots decided they had a void at the “undersized white receiver” position and brought in Danny Amendola from the St. Louis Rams. In all seriousness, the timing of the loss of Welker and then bringing in Amendola who has always been compared to Welker will fill the slot position void for the Patriots but will also put Amendola in the unenviable position of having to live up to Welker. Here are the other stories from free agency:
- In a case of the rich getting richer, the San Francisco 49ers landed Glenn Dorsey, the 5th overall pick in 2008. The former LSU star had a solid career with the Kansas City Chiefs until injuries sidelined him last year, and he should be a significant contributor along the Niners’ defensive line beside Justin Smith.
- The Seattle Seahawks pickup of Detroit Lions pass rusher Cliff Avril is another stage in the “arms race” between the Pete Carroll led club and NFC West foes, the San Francisco 49ers. Not yet 27-years-old, Avril has averaged over 10 sacks a season the last two years, and is an immediate pass rushing upgrade for the Seahawks.
- After releasing Beanie Wells, the Arizona Cardinals filled a void at running back by signing former Steelers running back Reshard Mendenhall. Now, with the release of quarterback Kevin Kolb, the Cardinals may seek to fill that void in the draft, particularly after Geno Smith’s strong performance at Pro Day.
- Matt Cassel, after a disastrous season with the Kansas City Chiefs, has been picked up by the Minnesota Vikings. Supposedly, he has been brought in to back up Christian Ponder although, being one of the better backups in the league playing under one of the lesser starters in the league, controversy is certainly foreseeable.
- The Detroit Lions added yet another dangerous weapon to their offense by landing Reggie Bush to fill the void at running back. He will join Matt Stafford and Megatron to continue working to bring the Lions into contention.
- In a move that impacts the race for the Super Bowl perhaps more than any other, the Atlanta Falcons added running back Steven Jackson, the Rams’ all-time leading rusher, to their roster. He will fill the void left by the release of Michael Turner and is certainly an immediate upgrade. Jackson and the return of Tony Gonzalez have put the Falcons back in prime position to make a post-season run.
- Among other “significant” moves, Dustin Keller has signed with the Dolphins Shonn Greene has joined the Titans, Laron Landry joined the Colts, and Dominque Rodgers-Cromartie has joined the Broncos
Stay tuned to Breitbart Sports for updates on NFL free agency and the NFL Draft