Red Sox, Bruins Return After Friday Manhunt

Red Sox, Bruins Return After Friday Manhunt

(AP) Red Sox, Bruins back after bombing, manhunt
AP Sports Writer

Bomb-sniffing dogs and military in camouflage fatigues joined the police patrolling Fenway Park on Saturday, when the Red Sox dressed in a specially designed uniform for their first home game since the Boston Marathon attacks and the ensuing manhunt that shut down their wounded city.

A logo on the Green Monster, Fenway’s 37-foot-high left-field wall, urged the city to “B Strong,” and the ballclub wore home white uniforms that said “Boston” in the stylized Old English font instead of the “Red Sox” that has appeared there for decades. The team said the uniforms would be autographed and auctioned off to raise money for the One Fund Boston, the charity established to help the victims.

Across, town the Bruins took the ice for their pregame warmup wearing baseball caps for the Boston and state police, along with one for the police in Watertown, where the suspect was captured, featuring the Bruins’ “Spoked B” logo and the word “Strong” on the back.

Two bombs exploded near the Back Bay finish line of the Boston Marathon on Monday, killing three people and wounding more than 180 others. Police identified two suspects; one was killed and the other was captured during a manhunt that shut down the city and surrounding area for most of Friday.

The Red Sox postponed Friday night’s game against the Kansas City Royals; it will be made up as part of a day-night doubleheader on Sunday. The Boston Bruins, who played on Thursday night, pushed back Friday’s game against the Pittsburgh Penguins to Saturday afternoon.

Penguins coach Dan Bylsma met with reporters before the game wearing a black T-shirt with words “Boston Strong” over his shirt and tie.

Security was tight at Fenway and at the TD Garden, as it was when the Bruins made their emotional return after the bombing. The Red Sox planned a pregame ceremony to commemorate the attack.

A SWAT team member with a German shepherd stood guard at the doorway to the tunnel leading to Royals dugout about 2 1/2 hours before game time. A man in military fatigues checked all of the players’ lockers and the many cracks in the ceiling tiles with a flashlight.

Outside, fans milled around, waiting for the gates to open. Several of them were wearing Boston Marathon jackets dating back as long as a decade.

Comment count on this article reflects comments made on and Facebook. Visit Breitbart's Facebook Page.